All American garden clubs trace their beginnings to the Ladies' Garden Club. Even as those 12 ladies could not have foreseen the great expansion of their vision, neither can we foresee the magnitude and rippling effects of our efforts for "Beautification, Conservation, Education" that will spread from the love, dedication and generosity of all members now and in the future.
“The Beginning Was Here” - the 2011 State Convention theme - honored the past of all Garden Clubs in America, especially significant for Ladies' Garden Club. Members volunteered as State Convention Chairman, Hostess Chairman, table decoration design and implementation of Presidents' Dinner, as well as other duties too many to mention. The convention was held in Athens - for the first time since 1973 - with record attendance. Click here to read more
The Ladies' Garden Club, the first in America, was established in 1891. Twelve friends who often informally exchanged plants and cuttings gathered in the 937 Prince Avenue home of Mrs. E. K. Lumpkin to set up a formal organization. From the beginning, the Ladies' Garden Club was open to "every lady who might be interested in growing anything, from a cabbage to a chrysanthemum."
Our purposes are to promote:
and to perpetuate the memory of the Founders of the Ladies' Garden Club.
Our symbols are the Iris flower, the color blue, and the bluebird.
The State Garden Club Headquarters is located on the campus of the State Botanical Garden of Georgia in Athens.
Copyright © 2011
Ladies' Garden Club